Subject: Re: ex0: device timeout
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@NetBSD.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/18/2005 14:49:21
Frank van der Linden <fvdl@NetBSD.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:30:52PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > Yes, but as I recall, it gets the files information for the CD off of
> > the directory it slurps in, rather than from a metadata file. (This
> > may be unimportant in practice, I'm not sure.)
>
> Hmm.. I see that. But then again, are permissions on a CD image important?

Not usually. The most common mkisofs invocation for this purpose is
-r, which forces uid and gid to 0, sets all read bits, sets all
execute bits if any execute bits are set, and clears all
sticky/sgid/suid bits.

A "live" CD would have different needs, but that doesn't seem to be
what we're talking about here.

         - Nathan