Subject: Question about dual booting with Windows
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/16/2005 22:33:59
Ok, I hate to admit it, but I took the bait on this Win XP 64 bit trial.

I have this new 120 gig disk and I decided to consolidate 2 other
disks into it so I'm trying to boot 4 different operating systems on
it.

Fdisk partitions are:

1. Win XP (ntfs)
2. NetBSD/i386
3. FreeBSD/i386
4. NetBSD/amd64

I installed Windows first, then moved my NetBSD/i386 stuff over to
this disk. That all worked fine. It also worked after putting on
FreeBSD. But somewhere down the line I seem to have hosed the Windows
part of the disk. I think it might have happened when I put the
NetBSD/amd64 data on. I was installing the bootloader and I may have
fat fingered it? Not sure.

My question is, can I safely re-install Windows into the first fdisk
partition without hurting the disklabel or boot selector? I'm using
the NetBSD boot select code.

I searched around a little and I'm not sure what the answer is after
reading a few things.

Andy