Subject: OpenSSL RSA very very slow
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/08/2005 09:13:15
Greetings:

Just an observation that the RSA operations in the OpenSSL distribution
that comes with NetBSD-amd64 version 2.0 is very slow compared to the
NetBSD-i386 version when run on a machine with similar CPU clock speed.

OpenSSL does have 64bit optimizations in its source code for 64bit CPU's.
Was this disabled in the version that was bundled with the NetBSD 2.0
release?  Was any type of assembler optimizations for RSA in OpenSSL
used in the amd64 platform the way that it is used on the i386 platform?

It is strange that OpenSSL RSA operations (public & private key
encryption/decryption) would be so slow on NetBSD-amd64, especially when
all of my personal C/C++ code runs much faster on this 64bit platform,
including my own RSA library that runs approximate 3X faster on amd64
than i386.

Alicia.