Subject: Re: Anyone using an Abit AV8 board?
To: Wouter Schoot <wouter@schoot.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 12/01/2004 14:13:20
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:56:23 +0100, Wouter Schoot <wouter@schoot.org> wrote:
> Andy Ruhl wrote:
>

> > I may have made a mistake with this motherboard, however. I have used
> > Abit boards for years and I never thought twice about researching
> > their reliability records before buying one. But it looks like I
> > should have. There seem to be some problems with this board.
> >
> > I'm actually not able to find out, because I apparently got bad memory
> > that I need to send back. I have NetBSD 2.0-Beta (from the iso)
> > installed, but it doesn't run long before I get page faults
> >
> > Anyone have any notes on this board? Any problems in general?
>
> Is there a particular part that causes problems? Page faults sounds like
> bad memory to me (which you already found out), but maybe if the IDE
> controller is flaky, it can cause such behaviour too. What specs does
> the bord has ?
>
> Wouter (who just ordered two Asus A8V (and is hoping those will work
> fine :P)

Well, I probably overreacted. I took out the bad dimm and it works
now. It's not without it's problems though.

I just was horrified to see the kinds of problems people were having
with this board, such as it didn't support 90nm processors even though
it said it did (required a bios upgrade to do it, but in order to do
the bios upgrade you need a 130nm chip to do it!). Ugh.

It seems to be running sort of fine now.

The only problem is I deleted the NetBSD OS I had running to install
FreeBSD, but I can't get X (Xorg) working under FreeBSD. I'm going to
reinstall NetBSD on it tonight and see if it works any better.

Andy