Subject: Re: firefox-gtk2 from pkgsrc
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Schanen <microvilii@yahoo.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/26/2004 15:45:30
--- Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> wrote:
> FWIW: Today I built firefox-gtk2 on my AMD64 (something
> like 2.99.10 kernel, with a 2.99.9 or 2.0H userland).
>
> Trying to invoke it, by
>
>   firefox-gtk2 http://www.NetBSD.org/
>
> ...dumps core everytime.  If I click the mouse immediately as
> soon as twm gives me the frame for positioning the initial
> window, no graphics are produced.
>
> If I hold off for a half second or so before positioning the
> initial window, I get a smallish window (at http://www.netbsd.org/,
> so it has done a little bit of network activity), but still dumps
> core before I see anything but blank page with some firefox toolbar
> widgetry.
>

> Just a datapoint, since someone said that firefox-gtk2 was working
> for them.

Hmm, interesting.  I'm using this build:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/unofficial/200411121400/amd64/
(reports itself as NetBSD2.0_RC5 I think)
Latest pkgsrc, generic kernel.  Since pkgsrc is using 3.4.2 gcc to
build it, I would suspect it is not going to work without it, something
to do with a compiler bug that was mentioned some weeks/months ago I
think.  Anyway, I did a wipe of a much older install awhile ago (with
which I had experienced the core dumps), which apparently fixed a
threading problem?  I haven't been following the list as closely as I
should, but I seem to recall that was the issue in the old kernel
causing the mozilla segfaults.

HTH,
Dave

=====
Attempts at mechanization of mathematics are also very important, since they
lead to a greater understanding of concepts we thought we knew (until we had
to explain them to a computer).  -Prof. Donald E. Knuth