Subject: Re: to amd64, or not to.
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Schanen <microvilii@yahoo.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/14/2004 10:14:07
--- Wouter Schoot <wouter@schoot.org> wrote:

> Dave Schanen wrote:
>  I would recommend, A) avoiding the 754 socket type I have, since its
> more or less EOL and the 939 models are cheaper every day and B)
> getting an nvidia card, since they're been fairly good about
> delivering 64 bit beta drivers.
>
> Nvidia.. for grahics or pci set?
nVidia card for the framebuffer, my chipset is the k8t800.  Of course,
if this is for a server only, it probably doesn't matter.  And their
release drivers for amd64 are windows and linux only at this point, so
if you want to do Netbsd exclusively I presume you'll buy an older
card. (though in the long term I presume their driver code finds its
way into x.org eventually?)

> How's about the k8t800 which is on the asus a8v?
I didn't have any problems with the chipset, but for ethernet I use the
builtin realtek 8139, the 8237 southbridge for SATA, etc. so I don't
know about the fancier stuff on the asus.

> And the onboard audio ?
Works for me, but its nothing to write home about.

HTH,
Dave

=====
Attempts at mechanization of mathematics are also very important, since they
lead to a greater understanding of concepts we thought we knew (until we had
to explain them to a computer).  -Prof. Donald E. Knuth