Subject: Re: to amd64, or not to.
To: Dave Schanen <microvilii@yahoo.com>
From: Wouter Schoot <wouter@schoot.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/12/2004 23:17:05
Dave Schanen wrote:
> I jumped on the amd64 bandwagon spring of last year, with an athlon64
> 3000 on a k8t800 mobo from giga-byte.  Before this I had a sun ultra 5
> 360 I used as my primary machine, and it actually worked pretty well
> for me despite its reputation.  Anyway, when I bought my system none of
> the 64 bit OS's were quite there (Linux was having MCE's every 5
> minutes, the Windows XP beta didn't boot after the 2nd release), and
> since I bought my system specifically because I wanted to play with 64
> bit assembly on an x86, that was a little upsetting.  Of course, now
> things are working a lot better (at least on NetBSD).  I would
> recommend, A) avoiding the 754 socket type I have, since its more or
> less EOL and the 939 models are cheaper every day and B) getting an
> nvidia card, since they're been fairly good about delivering 64 bit
> beta drivers.

Nvidia.. for grahics or pci set?

How's about the k8t800 which is on the asus a8v?

> Anyway, I wouldn't want to give the impression that I think people
> should not buy an opteron or athlon64 at this point, even if things are
> n't quite there on all OS's.  I've been running in 32 bit mode for most
> of the time I've owned mine, and for the $50 or so more that I paid
> over the standard athlon's which were out at the time it isn't a big
> deal.  Unless the amount you plan to spend on your system is really
> really tight, I'd skip Sempron.  Also, I'd skip my mobo manufacturer,
> they've been really slow releases BIOS upgrades, even when they're
> really important fixes.

I was actually planning to buy an asus a8v, which Stephen just reported
as successfull, along with a 3000+ chip. This mobo
(http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8v-d/overview.htm) also
comes with WLAN, most of the resellers sell 'em without the option, some
of 'em do sell the wifi units. Anyone had success using this wifi nic ?

And the onboard audio ?

ps, thanks for the many responds sofar!

mvg,

Wouter

--
Er was eens een boer. Hij had 3 koeien, 2 witte en 1 witte.
Maar dat gaf niet, want de koe gaf ook niet.  De boer vond een