Subject: Has pull-up request for pthread red-zone been made?
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@acorntoolworks.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/01/2004 11:11:21
I spent the weekend tracking down crashes a co-worker was experiencing
running mysql4 on a 2.0RC4 machine.

I discovered gcc was placing local variables beyond the stack pointer
in mf_radix.c::radix_sort_for_str_ptr and filed a gcc bug.  A response
to my bug report explained to me that the gcc code was correct --- the
AMD64 ABI reserves a 128 byte "red-zone" for local variables intended
to be used by leaf functions.

I checked the 2.0 branch and saw that the thread context switch code
did not account for the red-zone, but there have been recent changes
to -current.

Has a 2.0 pull-up request been made for these changes?  Without them,
threaded applications are likely to fail in all sorts of weird and
wonderful ways.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin