Subject: Re: Dual opteron system, bge driver (fatal protection fault)
To: David Rio Deiros <drio@eracks.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/29/2004 21:29:10
On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:41:13AM -0700, David Rio Deiros wrote:

> I am trying to get working NetBSD (amd-64 port) in a dual opteron
> system (checkout the dmesg output at the end of this email).
> In the core of the system I have a TYAN Thunder K8S PRO motherboard.
> It comes with thre NICs.  One 100MEthernet and two gigabit ethernets
> (BCM5704C chipset). The computer comes with a 3ware 7506 4 ports
> RAID controller. I have a RAID 5 already running.
> I installed NetBSD 2.0_BETA (This iso: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/
> NetBSD/arch/amd64/iso/netbsd-amd64-latest.iso).
> Everything seems to work pretty good except the gigabits cards.
> Everytime I try to setup the IP parameters (dhclient or ifconfig
> manually) the system gets frozen giving me this error:
>
> fatal protection fault in supervisor mode
> trap type 4 code 30b rip ............
>
> Problably this one is not the right place to ask for this but:
> I am thinking about updating the sources and recompile the kernel.
> Can you please that this is the right way to update to current?:
>
> $ cd /usr/src
> $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
> $ cvs update -dP        <-------- Am I updating to current?
>
> I am kind of confuse with the different branches and releases. I didn't
> find any document about that. Can you point me about any good document?
> Last release is 1.6.2. It should be then two branches, one for security
> and important patches (-STABLE) and other one which should be -CURRENT
> which eventually will be 2.0 RELEASE. Is that right?

There are three branches for NetBSD:

	netbsd-1-6	stable branch for NetBSD 1.6.x
	netbsd-2-0	stable branch leading to NetBSD 2.0
	HEAD		NetBSD-current leading to NetBSD 3.0

The 2.0_BETA you installed from the ISO image was built from 2004-04-22
sources on the netbsd-2-0 branch.  You can try creating an ISO image from
a more recent build of netbsd-2-0.  Grab the directory tree under:

ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200409280000/amd64/

and save it in a directory named "amd64".  Then the following mkisofs
command should create a bootable ISO in /tmp/netbsd-amd64.iso:

	# ls .
	amd64
	# mkisofs -J -l -r -T -v -P "The NetBSD Project" \
        -m amd64/installation/cdrom \
        -b amd64/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs \
        -o /tmp/netbsd-amd64.iso .

If you wish to build your own kernels, you will want to checkout the
netbsd-2-0 branch because there are some problems mixing -current
kernels with 2.0 userland.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>