Subject: Re: Crashes under "load".
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 06/17/2004 00:04:39
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:01:58PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> As I noted elsewhere, LINUX claims to have identified an "errata #93"
> in the (K8) motherboard which the kernel thinks can/should be fixed by
> a BIOS upgrade.  This is true, even with with the latest BIOS I have
> been able to get.  But that's been gone over before, so I only mention
> it as a reference in case it is related.

Erratum #93 is a "return from SMI" issue, and hence is no issue for
NetBSD.. but it may be an issue for a BIOS.

Most errata should be fixed in the BIOS. There's only one that
requires OS support that I can see right now (#100, I'll look
at that later).

> As I've also noted before, the system is practically useless if
> ioapic is enabled.  I don't know if that has been fixed recently, but
> it may be worth building a GENERIC kernel and seeing if that issue
> has been closed...  The NFS mount, if this is possibly related, is
> over an Intel fxp-using NIC that is unusable with ioapic enabled
> (but which appears to function fully normally with ioapic disabled).
>
> Is it possible that some of my problems come from being forced to
> disable ioapic?

Hm.. possibly.. what was your issue with the ioapic again? No
working interrupts?

- Frank