Subject: Re: Up and running on amd64
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: C. Linus Hicks <lhicks@nc.rr.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 06/11/2004 16:04:08
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 15:24, Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:28:05PM -0400, C. Linus Hicks wrote:
> > I just wanted to report that I have the amd64 port of NetBSD, including
> > XFree running on:
> >
> > MSI K8T Master2 with single Opteron 146 CPU
> > SATA hard drive
> > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
>
> Sounds nice. :)  Is it fast?  Like, does it do a full NetBSD build with
> XFree in less than an hour? :-)

Not quite that fast. The first time I did a build, I didn't know to use
-x so XFree didn't get built. That took 55 minutes. I didn't remember to
check how long it took to build with XFree when I did the whole thing. I
believe it was on the order of 1:20. There's a high performance setting
I have not turned on in the BIOS yet, because I wanted to build some
confidence in the stability of this system. When I first put it
together, I had regular crashes with it until I turned off ECC. AMD has
published an errata on the issue, but the last time I checked, MSI still
had not released an updated BIOS. It has been rock solid since I turned
off ECC.

By the way, this is my first experience with BSD. I did the initial
install of NetBSD on an ASUS SK8V, then decided to check out OpenBSD.
After working with it for a while, I decided to come back to NetBSD.
--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks@nc.rr.com>