Subject: Re: Netboot (PXE??) Install
To: Jason Lixfeld <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <email@example.com>
Date: 04/25/2004 20:04:23
On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 01:28:26PM -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> Can someone give me some pointers on doing a netboot install? My
> machine supports PXE boot and I've looked at some of the netboot
> documentation at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/
You need to look at the i386 specific parts of those pages, they all
apply to the amd64 port as well (just replace i386 with amd64 anywhere).
You need to:
* Set up dhcpd on a machine on your network. This is
described on that webpage as well as the i386 pxeboot(8)
* Set up tftpd on the same, point it at your netboot
* Put the pxeboot_ia32.bin file (from the base.tgz file on
the ISO image, in ./usr/mdec) in the netboot directory.
* Put the amd64 INSTALL kernel in the netboot directory
you configured. Put it there as "netbsd", uncompressed. If
the ISO image was a full release, the INSTALL kernel should be
present in amd64/binary/kernel/
* Boot the kernel (make sure PXE boot is configured in the boot
devices in the BIOS), and continue with the installation as
if you booted from CD or floppy.