Subject: Re: Netboot (PXE??) Install
To: Jason Lixfeld <jason@lixfeld.ca>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/25/2004 20:04:23
On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 01:28:26PM -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> Can someone give me some pointers on doing a netboot install?  My
> machine supports PXE boot and I've looked at some of the netboot
> documentation at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

You need to look at the i386 specific parts of those pages, they all
apply to the amd64 port as well (just replace i386 with amd64 anywhere).

You need to:

	* Set up dhcpd on a machine on your network. This is
	  described on that webpage as well as the i386 pxeboot(8)
	  manpage.
	* Set up tftpd on the same, point it at your netboot
	  directory.
	* Put the pxeboot_ia32.bin file (from the base.tgz file on
	  the ISO image, in ./usr/mdec) in the netboot directory.
	* Put the amd64 INSTALL kernel in the netboot directory
	  you configured. Put it there as "netbsd", uncompressed. If
	  the ISO image was a full release, the INSTALL kernel should be
	  present in amd64/binary/kernel/
	* Boot the kernel (make sure PXE boot is configured in the boot
	  devices in the BIOS), and continue with the installation as
	  if you booted from CD or floppy.

Good luck,

- Frank