Subject: Re: Frequent system stalls
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040421T054752@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/21/2004 06:01:36
ak+netbsd@freeshell.org (Andreas Kahari) writes:
> Yes, I've made some noise about this in the recent past, and
> I recently saw someone else with "sudden reset"-problems on
> a K8V motherboard.  The freezes are aparantly related to the
> pagedeamon and what it does in low memory situations (I don't
> know why all memory get hogged up though).  I ended up moving to
> OpenBSD, which seems to be kinder to memory, and I haven't since
> seen any freezes (but can't use my SATA drive).

After netbsd/amd64 roto-tilled my /etc and /usr/cvsroot files I moved
the k8v-se-d to openbsd too.  While I don't see the same
reset-without-a-trace error there, I do get bumped into ddb sometimes
with an empty stacktrace.

The upshot is that I still am not 100% sure that root k8v-se-d problem
is software and not slightly probabilistic hardware.

-wolfgang