Subject: Re: Frequent system stalls
To: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
From: Andreas Kahari <ak+netbsd@freeshell.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/21/2004 07:28:04
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 08:59:38AM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm seeing frequent system stalls on my K8V -- about once every three minutes,
> the system will freeze solid for about forty seconds, then resume.
>
> It doesn't seem to be connected with CPU activity, disk activity, or network
> activity.
>
> Is anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Yes, I've made some noise about this in the recent past, and
I recently saw someone else with "sudden reset"-problems on
a K8V motherboard.  The freezes are aparantly related to the
pagedeamon and what it does in low memory situations (I don't
know why all memory get hogged up though).  I ended up moving to
OpenBSD, which seems to be kinder to memory, and I haven't since
seen any freezes (but can't use my SATA drive).

I also had problems with sudden resets under high load.  I've
seen this once under OpenBSD as well.

Andreas

--
| ][ | Andreas Kähäri