Subject: NetBSD + Linux
To: None <>
From: Yann Forget <>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/18/2004 01:02:00

I just bought a new Opteron box and seeing that NetBSD has a working system on
this architecture, I am going for a try.

My disk has several partitions with Linux distributions (Debian, Gentoo) and
NetBSD. Install was fast and simple, but now I have a few questions.

1. How to get access to NetBSD filesystem from Linux?
I compiled the ufs module and the CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL option,
did modprobe ufs, and then
mount -t ufs /dev/device /mnt/netbsd
but I got a error message "device doesn't exist". What did I mess up?
Linux kernel help says that access to *BSD filesystems are ready-only.
Is there a way to get a read-write access?

2. What boot loader can I use to boot both Linux and NetBSD?
Is Lilo OK? I would like to avoid Grub as it seems troublesome on AMD64.

-- | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence | Alternatives sur le Net | Encyclopédie libre | Formations et services Linux