Subject: Re: Sudden resets
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040417T070618@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/17/2004 07:29:28
kardel@acm.org (Frank Kardel) writes:
> a simple pkgsrc compile triggers a reset. Disabling X didn't improve things.
> It "feels" like things are deteriorating.
>
> The board is a ASUS K8V with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 3000+ CPU. dmesg below.

Same here.  Asus K8V-SE-DELUXE (slightly different brd from yours)
w. athlon64 3200+.  The system would reset under high disk-io such as
during the install phase of a massive build.  The last time it reset I
had just checked /etc into my cvs.  Since both /etc and cvs had large
numbers of files in buffer caches at the time, it pretty much wiped
out all my setup files and their online cvs backups.  This was
Apr. 9th using the previous day's -current.  The fact that it would
reset without dropping into DDB or at least providing a backtrace was
a big problem.

> Power-, CPU- oder memory-trouble ?

It didn't feel like a hardware memory problem.  Memory problems, in my
experience, normally cause builds to die with non-repeatable SEGV's.

-wolfgang