Subject: Crashes, no fsck?
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/14/2004 15:54:43
Lately, I've noticed that when I reboot after a crash, the system skips
the fsck pass.  I've taken to booting single-user after a crash and
manually forcing an fsck -f, but even doing that never reports any
filesystem problems.

Yet...I've seen filesystem corruption.  (E.g., my pkg database
has had strange artifacts.)  I know that others have complained of
crashes combined with corruption.

I've just reinstalled the system with a March 12 -current, plus an
XFree86 from November so that I can get vastly better X performance.
Partly I redid the install so that I have partition space to install
alternate operating systems.

Aside: Mandrake 10's i386 distribution is able to read the motherboard
clock on my Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro (nVidia nForce3 based) motherboard.
NetBSD/amd64 and FreeBSD/amd64 both complain that the clock has no valid
time set.  (I have not tried NetBSD/i386.)

I've also updated the BIOS on the off-chance that it might be affecting
either IOAPIC or clock issues.  (No dice.)