Subject: warning: src/x11 broken
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/05/2004 13:50:23
I've been told that building X via src/x11 will always produce
an X server that uses loadable modules. This will not
work on amd64. The XFree86 loader is broken, and only works on
Linux because they added a hack to mmap to specify memory below
the 32bit boundary. I've looked at it a while ago, and I don't
think this can be fixed, unless they switch to a normal dlopen()
scheme.

So, building X via src/x11 will not produce a working X server.
If you want to build X, use the old method of going to xsrc
and doing a 'make build' with DESTDIR set.

- Frank