Subject: Re: amd64 and wscons
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Bjorn Schothuis <plonnie@home.nl>
List: port-amd64
Date: 03/29/2004 22:29:33
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:38:11AM +0000 or thereabouts, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <x7y8pkwiw1.fsf@bonnet.wsrcc.com>,
> 	"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang+gnus20040328T170643@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> writes:
> > Are switchable screens supposed to be working on amd64?
>
> Yes, they should.
>
> > ... but I can't seem to switch to them.
>
> Support for switching consoles has been added to the native XFree86 build
> just recently. How old are your X11 binaries and how did you build them?

I'm running 4.3.0 of X binaries are from 21 October. To old I guess, So
what binaries do I need to download? I went to ftp.Xfree86.org
pub/XFree86/4.3.0/binaries/NetBSD-1.6
got Xinstall.sh, extract and extrac.exe but running the script gives

-------------------------------------
                Welcome to the XFree86 4.3.0 installer

You are strongly advised to backup your existing XFree86 installation
before proceeding.  This includes the /usr/X11R6, /etc/X11
and /etc/fonts directories.  The installation process will
overwrite existing files in those directories, and this may include
some configuration files that may have been customised.

If you are installing a version different from 4.3.0, you
may need an updated version of this installer script.

Do you wish to continue? (y/n) [n] y

Checking which OS you're running...
uname reports 'NetBSD' version '1.6ZK', architecture 'amd64'.
Object format is 'ELF'.
./extract: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
extract doesn't work properly, renaming it to 'extract.bad'
./extract: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
extract.exe doesn't work properly, renaming it to
'extract.exe.bad'

The versions of 'extract' and 'extract.exe' you have do not run'
correctly.  Make sure that you have downloaded the correct
binaries for your system.  To find out which is correct,
run 'sh ./Xinstall.sh -check'.

When you have corrected the problem, please re-run 'sh ./Xinstall.sh'
to proceed with the installation.

running ./Xinstall.sh -check gives

Checking which OS you're running...
uname reports 'NetBSD' version '1.6ZK', architecture 'amd64'.
Object format is 'ELF'.
No NetBSD binaries available for this architecture

Please advise how to proceed.

Bjorn Schothuis