Subject: Re: resets under high load
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Stephen Degler <stephen@degler.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 03/13/2004 11:45:24
On Saturday 13 March 2004 02:32 am, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <200403101116.40196.stephen@degler.net>,
>
> 	Stephen Degler <stephen@degler.net> writes:
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.  I just pop straight back to
> > the bios startup screen, with no output on the serial console.
>
> <WILD GUESS>
> Could it be a too weak power supply? High CPU load under X11 (when your
> graphic cards is consuming more power) might be just enough to overload
> it causing the reset.
> </WILD GUESS>

I suspected both memory and power supply issues however switching out both had
no effect.  I went from an Antec truepower 430W to a 550W.

Please keep the <WILD GUESS> mode enabled, I'm really scratching my head on
this one.  I'm wondering whether anyone with an nvidia or amd chipset can
reproduce this.

skd