Subject: Re: NVIDIA nforce3-150 Ethernet on Shuttle SN85G4 Athlon64?
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Mark G. Spencer <mspencer@evidentdata.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 12/06/2003 09:53:00
Hi Frank,

> From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
> To: "Mark G. Spencer" <mspencer@evidentdata.com>
> Cc: port-amd64@netbsd.org
> Date: Fri, Dec-5-2003 8:52 AM
> Subject: Re: NVIDIA nforce3-150 Ethernet on Shuttle SN85G4 Athlon64?
> =

> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:35:59PM -0800, Mark G. Spencer wrote:
> > So .. I'm just trying to find out what the situation is.  I imagine the=
 Shuttle SN85G4 will be a popular platform for the Athlon64, and being able=
 to get NetBSD =

> > running on it would be great.
> =

> I'm not quite sure if the nForce 3 chipset you mention has an actually
> different gigabit implementation, or if they just licensed an existing
> one and hooked it up differently. I can't find any documentation for it,
> nor any open source drivers for other OSs..
> =

> Can you mail the output of the dmesg command to see what the PCI id
> of the gig-e part is?

The only mention of "network" in dmesg that I found was the following:

"vendor 0x10de product 0x00d6 (ethernet network, revision 0xa5) at PCI 0 de=
v5 function 0 not configured"

Does "function 0 not configured" mean that the BSD boot disk is unable to s=
tart the network because there is no driver?

I should add that the only data I have that makes me think the ethernet chi=
pset is not supported (other than browsing Google and not seeing any conclu=
sive posts about nforce3 support) is that the BSD boot disk is apparently n=
ot getting an IP address from DHCP.  I don't know much about BSD, so I'm no=
t sure if there is another way I can tell that DHCP failed and/or the ether=
net chipset is unsupported.

Thanks for your help!

Mark