Subject: Re: Lots of pkgsrc warnings...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 12/01/2003 02:04:15
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:31:22AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> I've seen complains from some packages on alpha too.

Same here for sparc64.

You can typically divide errors into

 - signed char vs. unsigned char
 - int == long vs int != long

these two account for most of the "comparision always true/false" warnings
(if they do not happen on all archs).

and things like

 - "cast increases alignement" warnings from the compiler
 - general runtime errors due to bad alignement

which come from a "all the worlds a i386 and doesn't care about alignment"
philosophy (or, more diplomaticaly: simple portability bugs in the source)

My personal rule of thumb is: if it runs on sparc64 (64bit, big endian, strict
alignement) + arm (unsigned chars, "alignement picky"), it probably runs
everywhere. Very, very few pkgs fall into this class, unfortunately.

Martin