Subject: Lots of pkgsrc warnings...
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/30/2003 03:55:12
I've been seeing a lot of pkgsrc code complain that a logical expression
is always true (or false, as the case may be) due to the size of the
types in question.  (One case was libxml, where I mentally unwrapped
a macro that it was using for the (non-UNICODE) character class tests,
and I couldn't see why it should always be true---SOME of the
values were in the positive range of a signed 8-bit byte, and some where
out of range, and without knowing a' priori the value of the byte, I
couldn't see any way to categorically classify the condition "always true".)

Have others noticed this?  Is it a -current, GCC 3.x, general 64-bit,
or port-amd64 issue?  Or none of the above?

The system is a verbatim snapshot that Frank put on Nov. 10.