Subject: Re: ISO boot problems
To: Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin@texoma.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/18/2003 16:24:31
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:20:06AM -0600, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> After I did the above unsuccessfully, I popped the top and installed a
> floppy. I still get the same error.
>
> All of my hard drives sit behind the Promise SATA controller.
> Does the binary on the ISO have the drivers in it for Promise SATA
> controllers.
>
> I don't know. I haven't yet tried for a net install. I may try that my
> next opportunity.

If the boot fails this early (i.e. you don't even get to the bootblock
prompt), then it's not a NetBSD problem. Especially since the ISO image
does get this far on a plain i386 machine, so the image is ok.

I think that there's something wrong with your CD-ROM drive. To
verify this, try booting any CD-ROM that you might have (doesn't
matter what it is; NetBSD/i386, Windows, Linux, whatever). i386
software runs without problems on amd64 machines, so they should
all boot (and they do, I have tried them).

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org
NetBSD. Free, Unix-like OS. > 45 different platforms.    http://www.netbsd.org/