Subject: ISO boot problems
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin@texoma.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/16/2003 00:15:08
Hello,

I am new to BSD, therefor new to NetBSD.
I just purchased a dual Opteron 240 server for my website.
 From browsing around it appears that my best options for OS were Gentoo
Linux (which I run on my personal machine) and NetBSD.

I thought NetBSD might have the better support and might be more mature.
So I thought I would give it a try.

The server has the Arima RioWorks HDAMA motherboard with the Broadcom
5700 1gb nic and the Promise 20319 SATA.
I have 4 250gb SATA drives connected.

I downloaded the latest ISO and created a cd.
 From appearances the cd looks fine when put into a running system.
But I can't boot from it.

I get this error
Error Disk read

Did I do anything wrong on the CD?
Do I need to burn another CD?
I don't see anything wrong with this one.
But I don't see what is on it that it would boot from?

Does NetBSD work with my hardware described above?

Is this a 64bit port? Does it run 64bit and 32bit apps?
Pardon my ignorance about NetBSD.

Any help, advice and wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin