Subject: Re: x86 interoperability
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030820T113642@wsrcc.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/20/2003 20:44:35
On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 11:43:21AM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Does the amd64 port have any interoperability with the x86 port?
> Eg. is it possible to compile up only an amd64 kernel and share
> userland with the x86 machines?
>
> I'm starting to get itchy now that a few low-cost boards like the asus
> sk8n and the tyan k8s are starting to show up on the mailorder sites.
> I'm not sure I really want the hassle of compiling up every user
> program another time.

Yes, that should work. I haven't tried a pure x86 userland, so I can't
claim that everything works, there may be some nits in the compat_netbsd32
layer.

One thing that does not work, unfortunately, is native pthreads.
The SA code copies structures to and from userland, and these structures
contain addresses, which have a different size. This needs to be fixed.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org
NetBSD. Free, Unix-like OS. > 45 different platforms.    http://www.netbsd.org/