Subject: Re: A short update
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@NetBSD.org>
From: Parag Patel <parag@codegen.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 05/28/2003 14:28:17
Just FYI, we successfully booted the previous snapshot under
SmartFirmware on the AMD SOLO board.  It's wired for only the SOLO
right now but does boot SF out of ROM which then boots NetBSD.

The only PC legacy support is for ISA devices accessed through the usual
I/O ports.  Other than that, we've tried to jettison all the legacy
gunk.  The first 1Mb is actually all RAM.  SF runs fine without any
video card using the serial port as a console.

(Which is why Linux currently doesn't boot - it expects and uses too
many PC legacy interfaces.  We'll have to essentially re-port it to
SF/amd64.  Naturally, Windows won't run.)

We still have a lot more work ahead - things are more than a little bit
wired for the AMD SOLO board with 512Mb RAM and one processor.  We still
haven't worked on the NetBSD startup code to use SF nor figure out if
it's booted in 64-bit or 32-bit mode and automatically compensate.

But the real trick is to figure out a way to sell it.  Anyone interested
in legacy-free Hammer motherboards?  Or perhaps legacy-free NetBSD/amd64
systems all configured, tested, and ready to go? :)
--
  __
 /__)_ _ _ _    Technological progress has merely provided us with more