Port-alpha archive

Installing NetBSD on DS10 Failing

Hi,

  I’m trying to install NetBSD on a DEC/Compaq DS10 Alpha via the ISO image.  I’ve tried 9.3 and 8.0, and in both cases it fails, and I get similar, if slightly different, output.

On 8.0, when I start the install after disk setup, I see the following errors:

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

acerid0:1:0: unbusy timed

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

acerid0:1:0: unbusy timed

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

acerid0:1:0: unbusy timed

…repeat…

In the end the install fails.  On the 8.0 I get the following when it fails:

  Command: /sbin/mount –rt cd9660 /dev/cd89a /mnt2

On 9.2, when I start the install after disk setup, I see the following errors:

sdc_atapi_intr: bad data phas DATAOUT

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

stray isa irq

acerid0:1:0 unbusy timed out

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

acerid0:1:0 unbusy timed out

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

acerid0:1:0 unbusy timed out

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

acerid0:1:0 unbusy timed out

…repeat…

cd0c: error reading fsbn 0 of 0-3 (cd0 bn0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)

acerid0:1:0 unbusy timed out

acerid0:1:0: reset failed

In the end the install fails, and I get the following output:

“ Could not locate a CD medium in any drive with the distribution sets!

 Enter the correct data manually, or insert a disk and retry”

It looks like it’s having an issue mounting/using the CD-ROM, which is weird, as I’ve installed many other things using the same drive without issues, both before and after the NetBSD install attempt.

I’ve tried the HTTP/FTP install, but the boot image does not see the 3rd NIC I have installed, and for network reasons I need to use that one as opposed to 2 on the motherboard that it sees.  So likewise, NFS is not an option.

The DS10 does have a floppy drive though, although the idea of making and juggling around 150, 3.5” disks seems a bit crazy these days.

So any ideas what’s going wrong?  And how to fix it?

  Thank you,

  David