Port-alpha archive

Issues with X on PWS600au

Hey all,

I have a lovely DEC PWS600au (EV5 CPU, PowerStorm 3D30 graphics) in my collection that I have been struggling to get going as a workstation- I have been able to get X and ctwm up and running on a Sun Ultra 60 and it is a great little modernized Unix workstation, but unfortunately the Alpha port seems to be a bit trickier. I've verified this behavior on 9.x and -current, and though I have not tried recently my recollection is this also did not work on earlier releases.

Running startx with a nonexistent xorg.conf results in the system halting to console and rebooting, if ddb.onpanic is set then the system will simply freeze where it would normally halt. This behavior also occurs on a DEBUG kernel. On a clean install I have seen it simply fail to connect to X with a "connection refused", but I have never been able to get it working. As far as I can tell this is supported hardware and the 3D30 is configured with a valid mode for NetBSD via the onboard dial.

If there is any more information I can provide please do let me know!

--
.hush
Proposed PDP11 instructions: POPI (Punch Operator Immediately), WBT (Water Binary Tree)