Port-alpha archive

Re: Anyone with a PCI graphics console?

> On Jun 12, 2021, at 8:00 AM, Jonathan Sturges <jonathansturges%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> Oops I meant to reply sooner.
> Would a Multia (VX40) work?

Yes, that would be fine!

Actually, I’ll just go ahead and post this to the general list … it will save me some typing :-)

Can you download this kernel:

	www.netbsd.org/~thorpej/netbsd-alpha-GENERIC-CTB-info.gz

Uncompress, and boot it?  I'm looking for an additional message I added early during auto configuration that will look something like this:

So, just copy that kernel to /netbsd.jrt or something like that and at the SRM prompt:

>>> boot -fi “netbsd.jrt”

…and then grab the output of “dmesg” once the system is up.

The reason I’m asking for this is so I can fill in some Console Terminal Block fields correctly (i.e. same as genuine DEC SRM) in the Qemu PALcode for its Alpha system emulation.  Unfortunately, the documentation available to me does not describe all of the fields of the CTB, and the way NetBSD consumes the CTB is seemingly inconsistent with what the available documentation DOES say… but we of course know that NetBSD works, and I have a theory about how the DEC PALcode / SRM behaves that I’m just trying to confirm.

Thanks!

> -Jonathan
>
>> On Jun 6, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Hey folks...
>>
>> I am doing a little fact-finding regarding the behavior of the SRM console on PCI systems with graphics consoles.  If you have such a system, or can set one up, even just temporarily, and are willing to help me in this endeavor, please ping me off-list.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -- thorpej

-- thorpej