Port-alpha archive

Re: Qlogic QLA4052C

> And I am not even shure, wether the other side of the ethernet cable
> could be a classical etnernet card or needs to be special as well.

Well, your end can't tell anything about what's on the other end except
for its behaviour over the network.  So, as long as the "classical
Ethernet card" can exhibit the expected behaviour, your end cannot tell
the difference even in principle.

This is why standardized protocols are so important: loosely put, they
reduce O(n^2) interop testing complexity to O(n).  In your case, if
your end speaks initiator-side iSCSI, it will - modulo bugs -
interoperate with anything that speaks target-side iSCSI, whether it's
custom hardware, custom software, general-purpose systems, whatever.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign