Port-alpha archive

Re: Regarding the ULTRIX and OSF1 compats

On 2019-03-16 13:37, Michael Kronsteiner wrote:
     Date:        Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:45:07 +0100
     From:        Maxime Villard <max%m00nbsd.net@localhost>

NetBSD can support newer hardware at the OS level, and old userland,
which doesn't care what the hardware underneath is in any detail
(just....

i see. would YOU run software that costs maybe 4-digit numbers for
yearly license on an OS that "maybe" runs it "somehow" ? why do you
think prices for those old machines have skyrocketed? they run NATIVE.
because it WORKS (tm)

And "newer" Hardware is quite relative to stay polite. theres no newer
alpha or vax or decstation than the existing models. not even all of
them are fully supported(just check the webpages port-pmax, port-vax,
port-alpha). btw even digital unix runs fine and stable on MP alphas.
maybe "primary targets" should be a bit rearranged. last release of
tru64 was in 1999 or so aswell. to support that is not really on my
necessary wishlist for now.

for the time being - if i need an ultrix or osf(dec unix, tru64...)
setup, i will install exactly that.

it seems what youre trying to do is to shoehorn is like stuffing a
2n3055 in modern microelectronics.

i think this compatibility stuff can be kept for later. first get a
stable base. development on that side has very improved in last years.
its often better to stay "on track" for now. its sad to say that
directly, but as businessman, NetBSD is not an option for now. i want
more money, not more work with unstable machines. (yes im greedy)

i excuse to everyone who found my words a bit harsh, but thats reality.

Well, if we want to talk reality - why are you even looking at NetBSD. Reality, business wise, is Linux. You might possibly argue FreeBSD.
NetBSD is not an option, and will never become an option.

  Johnny