Port-alpha archive

Re: Occasional core dumps in netbsd-8

    Date:        Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:47:21 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>

  | Here's a core from egrep:
  |
  | Core was generated by `egrep'.
  | Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
  |
  | warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding enclosing function for
  | address 0x696c2f7273752e

".usr/li"   Looks like something wrote over the return address,
most likely to running outside the bounds of an array on the stack.

  | >From dirname:
  |
  | Core was generated by `dirname'.
  | Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
  |
  | warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding enclosing function for
  | address 0x120010f44

No idea on that one, but it is really hard to imagine much in the way
of bugs in dirname - it is a very simple program.

You might want to get your hardware checked, when random programs that
should not fail start randomly acting in a weird way, it can be an
indication that something is marginal (power supply, RAM, ... even
the CPU possibly.)   I know you doubt that it is possible, but it
might be.

It is also possible there's some kind of error in the Alpha VM
implementation (perhaps brought about by other changes which
violate some assumption which used to be OK, but now is no longer
valid.)

kre