Port-alpha archive

Re: Is this list alive?

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:01:49 -0500
Dave McGuire <mcguire%neurotica.com@localhost> wrote:

>   But...why move away from SCSI?  I'll bet even older SCSI drives will
> last a good bit longer than the consumer-grade drek flooding the market
> now.  And non-consumer-grade SATA/SAS drives cost a fortune.  It'll take
> a good long while to recoup that kind of cost in reduced power consumption.

Agreed. I've only looked into modern stuff to get more space. I still
have several IBM DCHS04's (*) running that have been powered on 24/7
for at least eight years now, with decent load on them too. They just
won't die. And even modern NetBSD still fits in 4 gigabytes w/ swap.

As for modern 'drek', I can vouch for the Western Digital RE3. SATA,
yes, but they perform well and don't cost an arm and a leg. Needless to
say, not quite as battle proven as the DCHS but so far, so good -
several years of load on a medium-busy fileserver without a failure.

*-http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ibm+dchs04&_sacat=0&_from=R40

--
Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>