Port-alpha archive

Re: Please test a GENERIC.MP kernel for me

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Jason Thorpe wrote:

While working on some changes to subr_pool.c recently, I discovered a bug in
the L1 page table allocation code in the Alpha pmap.  However, since I don't
have any Alpha hardware anymore, I can't test the fix myself.  I would greatly
appreciate it if someone could test out a GENERIC.MP kernel for me (built from
-current sources a couple of days old):

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/thorpej/netbsd-alpha-mp.gz

This kernel fails to boot on my ES40, presumably because since I've added drives to the iop(4) raid adapter, it seems the kernel needs to be loaded at a higher memory address. I was also unable to boot a kernel from my -current tree - it kept crashing after calling the iop_config_interrupts() routine. I then applied Jason's diffs to my netbsd-5 tree and that kernel booted and ran no worse that before. There were some pool cache invalidation changes Jason made that weren't in the netbsd-5 branch, so I tried to add those diffs and got a kernel that didn't do so well. I then added the other pool cache invalidation changes and got a kernel that seemed to work no worse than before.

I was also able to finally get a -current kernel booting and running (no idea why I was having the problems in iop_config_interrupts() before). That also seems to run no worse than before.

Both my netbsd-5 and -current kernels still run into problems once in a while. I get segment violations in a couple of the build tools (install, and I think grotty), and have had some kernel memory trap panics.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant