Port-alpha archive

Re: ifconfig delay on up

> Under 4.x and previous versions I've noticed that bringing up an
> ethernet interface takes about 60 seconds before it becomes active.
> But bringing down an interface is instantaneous.  Is there a way to
> avoid the delay on bringing an interface up?

I have never seen that.  However, I have seen something similar enough
it could easily be confused with that: I have comparatively often seen
switches which take long times - 30 seconds, 60 seconds - from the time
link comes up to the time they start forwarding packets.

In my experience this is usually due to spanning tree, and the fix,
when it's a problem, is to disable spanning tree on that port (or, when
possible, to set it to assume spanning tree will show no loops and thus
start forwarding immediately, to be changed later if appropriate).

\ / Ribbon Campaign