Port-alpha archive

Re: Configuring Serial Printer - DEC 3000 Model 700 / NetBSD V4.0

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:30:20 -0500
"Micheal H. McCabe" <mhmccabe%alltel.net@localhost> wrote:

> After acquiring an equally ancient daisy-wheel printer (Diablo
> HytyperII), my thought was to connect this printer to ttyB0 and use
> it as a line printer.
Does it print when you do somthing like:
echo 'Hallo World!' > /dev/ttyB0

Can you talk to the printer using tip(1) or cu(1) like:
cu -l /dev/ttyB0 -s 9600

Are you sure that ttyB0 is not the system console?

Are you sure you have the correct cable?
Null-Modem (crossed RXD/TXD) or straight cable?
Maybe you need some extra wires in the serial cable?
(RTS/CTS, DSR/DCD/DTR, ...)
--

tschüß,
       Jochen