Port-alpha archive

Re: Self baked kernel panics

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Ede Wolf wrote:

Still, here are the traces. I admit, I have no clue what I am doing, but may
it be helpful. If you need other data, just let me know.

  I sort of know what I'm doing, and it's a good start.

db> x/i 0xfffffc00004ea978
netbsd:isp_start+0x440: stq_u   zero,4(t0)

This is the faulting instruction, 0xfffffc00004ea978 is the PC at the time of the fault.

db> x/i 0xfffffc00004ea978,20
netbsd:isp_start+0x440: stq_u   zero,4(t0)
netbsd:isp_start+0x444: stq_u   zero,c(t0)

  This should help me figure out the corresponding location in the source
code, and provide some clue as to what when wrong. Gcc 4 scatters the code around much more than gcc 3 did, and it can be fun trying to figure out how the source code matches up with the instructions. A gdb version of the kernel with the source files and a kernel core dump file makes that much simpler (using the "list *address" command), but I'm used to doing it the hard way.

db> x/i 0xfffffe000c589a66
0xfffffe000c589a66:     sts     f23,-1(v0)

This address (the A0 entry from the trap) is actually the unaligned address that caused the trap. The "stq_u zero,4(t0)" needs an aligned address (4 byte alignment at least - I don't know if the alpha would need an 8 byte alignment for the stq instruction). Since it's not on a 4 byte alignment, it will crash.

db> x/i 0xfffffc00004ea890
netbsd:isp_start+0x358: or      zero,v0,t0

This is the RA (return address) at the time of the fault, and the call to the function where the fault occurred should be the instruction preceeding this address. This should help in verifying the location of the function that the fault occurred in.

CPU 0    trap entry = 0x4 (unaligned access fault)
CPU 0    a0         = 0xfffffe000c589a66        <-- address that caused
                                                    the fault
CPU 0    a1         = 0x2c
CPU 0    a2         = 0x1f
CPU 0    pc         = 0xfffffc00004ea978        <-- program counter
                                                    at instruction that
                                                    faulted
CPU 0    ra         = 0xfffffc00004ea890        <-- Return address
                                                    register at time of
                                                    fault
CPU 0    pv         = 0xfffffc0000a697c0
CPU 0    curlwp    = 0xfffffc000fbe9ba0
CPU 0        pid = 3, comm = scsibus1

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost