Subject: Replace AS200 power supply with ATX?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Emil Skoeldberg <emil.skoldberg@nuigalway.ie>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/25/2007 17:23:54
Hi,

I have an Alphastation 200 on which the power supply (seems to have)
died. From various sources on the web [1,2] it seems like it would
work to replace it by a standard off the shelf ATX power supply. This
would be straightforward if it was not for the fact that the connector
is not the same, so a bit of cutting and joining wires seems to be
needed.

My problem is that I do not fully see how this should be done.
(Electronics and hardware are not my strong points)

From [3] I got the pinout for ATX power supplys:

1       3.3V            Orange  +3.3 VDC
2       3.3V            Orange  +3.3 VDC
3       COM             Black   Ground
4       5V              Red     +5 VDC
5       COM             Black   Ground
6       5V              Red     +5 VDC
7       COM             Black   Ground
8       PWR_OK          Gray    Power Ok
9       5VSB            Purple  +5 VDC Standby Voltage (max 10mA)
10      12V             Yellow  +12 VDC
11      3.3V            Orange  +3.3 VDC
12      -12V            Blue    -12 VDC
13      COM             Black   Ground
14      /PS_ON          Green   Power Supply On (active low).
15      COM             Black   Ground
16      COM             Black   Ground
17      COM             Black   Ground
18      -5V             White   -5 VDC
19      5V              Red     +5 VDC
20      5V              Red     +5 VDC

And from the technical information for the alphastation, [4], I got
the pinout for the AS:

        J19                     J20
Voltage         Pin     Voltage         Pin

Open            1       Ground          1
VDD             2       Ground          2
+12V            3       Ground          3
-12V            4       +3.3V           4
Ground          5       +3.3V           5
Ground          6       +3.3V           6
Ground          7       +3.3V           7
Ground          8       +3.3V           8
-5V             9       +3.3V           9
VDD             10      Ground          10
VDD             11      Ground          11
VDD             12      Ground          12

So to me it looks like a bit of a mismatch:
- more ground cables for the AS (is it Ok to split or join here?)
- same question for the +3.3V
- and what about Pin 1 on J19 (open, what does that mean?)
- what is "VDD"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Emil

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/debian.ports.alpha/2003-08/msg00047.html