Subject: Replace the CPU fan on a 600MHz 164LX
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/29/2007 20:26:08
Hi

I am trying to replace the CPU fan on my Alpha, but it does not seem to
work. The old fan has three cables, +, - and 'S'. The new fan has only
two. This seems to be the source of the problem. I suspect that the
motherboard does not detect that my new fan (connected to + and - on
the motherboard's CPU fan contact) is there, and so refuses to fire up
the CPU. I can here the harddisk spin up, and all fans are spun up, but
there is no image on the screen. Connecting the old fan on the CPU fan
contact on the motherboard makes the computer work again.

Is there some kind of signal (S?) required, which my new fan must be
able to generate, to be acknowledged by the motherboard?

Best regards,
	Lars Nordlund