Subject: Re: NetBSD INSTALL kernel and Multia IDE controller [wdc0]
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/13/2007 20:58:18
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Fri_Apr_13_20:58:09_2007-1

    dm> It is, at least according to how *I* was raised, generally
    dm> considered polite and respectful to identify oneself using
    dm> one's given name.

according to how I was raised on the Internets, it's considered rude
to demand someone's ``real'' name if they don't want to give it,
though of course not as rude as outing their real name for them when
they've withheld it.

    dm> You are not Professor Moriarty...why on Earth would you want
    dm> your "full name" field to suggest that you are?

I can think of a few fairly good reasons quite easily, but why on
earth would you care, anyway?  I know it's not your Way, and that your
feelings about real(-sounding) names are common enough in some areas to
make the guy seem rude, but it always seemed a bit cliquish from where
I sit.

In my last year or two of BBSing, I picked real-sounding fake names
just so I wouldn't have to deal with this attitude.  sillyness all
around, IMHO.  sorry to prolong the pointless OT thread.  I'm not
eager to see FidoNET resurrected, though.  People always reminisce
fondly about it, but I think on an honest look it kind of sucked.