Subject: Re: Running XFree86 on a PWS500au
To: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn+nbsd@nygren.pp.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/2007 21:45:19
Chris Wareham wrote:
> Tobias Nygren said on 14/3/07 00:10:
>> Chris Wareham wrote:
>>> I've found the following webpage which includes patched versions of
>>> XFree86 for various Alpha workstations:
>>>
>>> http://www.caseydoodle.com/index1.html
>>>
>>> Is anyone running the patched version of XFree86 4.4.0 from this
>>> page on
>>> NetBSD 3.1?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> If you grab the 4.5.0 tarballs from xfree86.org they should build
>> cleanly.
>> XFree86 4.6.0 can be built with some minor changes to alpha_video.c,
>> see attached diff.
>>
>> -T
>>

> I built and installed XFree86 4.5.0, but if I run X -configure, xf86cfg
> or just startx I get dumped back to the SRM console. I'm recompiling the
> kernel with ddb and diagnostics enabled to see if I can drop into the
> debugger instead. I suspect it's down to the graphics card though - it's
> some high end thing (well, high end when the machine was new) that I
> might just replace with an ordinary S3 based card.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

The autoconfiguration doesn't work. You need an XF86Config generated
on a PC. Then change the PCI bus location accordingly and add
Option "NoInt10" "true".
(The x86 bios emulator is what causes the machine checks)

Moderns cards shouldn't be a problem, I've used a radeon 9250.
The SRM must have initialized the card though.

-T