Subject: Re: Free Alpha (DS10 et al) memory in Silicon Valley, USA
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ian X.Marshalleck <indechambers@yahoo.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/07/2007 19:18:21
Steve Rikli <sr <at> genyosha.net> writes:

> I have a few sets of Alpha memory, pulled from a dead GS160 which
> was scrapped, and a trio of DS10 which were unfortunately trashed
> before I could rescue them.  :(
>
> However, at least the memory from the above stuff was saved, so I'd
> like to offer what's left to NetBSD folks -- all I ask in return is
> shipping repayment.
>
> From the GS160:
>
>   - 8 sticks of what looks like cache RAM to me; these are
>     168pin PC100-ish looking DIMMs, with part# 54-25023-BA A01
>
>   - ~20 sticks of 256MB 100MHz CL2 ECC Reg, Infineon Alpha
>     memory, part# 20-01DSA-08
>
> A sticker on the back of both types reads "TESTED FREMONT MFG." if that
> means anything to anyone.
>
> From the DS10's:
>
>   - 12 sticks of 128MB 100MHz CL2 ECC Alpha memory,
>     part# 20-01CSA-08
>
>   - 2 sticks of 64MB ECC Alpha memory, SEC part# KMM379S803AT-G0
>
> The DS10's had some of those 256MB modules too, but most came from
> the GS160.  I've used those in DS10 & DS20 with equal success, FWIW.
>
> The memory is all located in Silicon Valley USA, and I'd like to give
> it away in 4-stick packetss or so, just to avoid shipping too many
> little envelopes around.  NetBSD developers get first dibs.
>
> Cheers,
> sr.
> --
> || Steve Rikli             ||| Adding a new kind of computer, OS,       ||
> || Systems Administrator   ||| application, peripheral, etc. has a much ||
> ||                         ||| higher administrative cost than adding   ||
> || sr <at> genyosha.net         ||| one more of what you've already got.     ||

I moved from Jamaica this year, got married and have a beautiful daughter. I was
in the process of converting some old HRM (payroll/time-and-attendance)code to
more web-centric/browser accessible format when all this happened. Needless to
say all those machines (x86 based) have gone the way of the dodo. I recently
acquired a DEC Server 5305 on "freecycle" with limited functionality, I am
having my SCSI disks and some controllers sent to me from Jamaica where I left
them, hopefully this will be enough to get the machine up and running. Some
additional memory would be greatly appreciated (I think it currently has 64MB),
as is I am in the process of getting it up to speed with a firmware update and
other little fixes. I really need to get operational again as I fear that my
coding skills are deteriorating rapidly. Please let me know what it would cost
to ship the memory to Florida, and if I am even considered for this "gift".

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
IanX