Subject: Re: Can SRM boot from a SATA drive?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn+nbsd@nygren.pp.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/06/2006 20:15:46
Matt Thomas wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2006, at 2:43 AM, Dieter wrote:
>
>> I have a 164lx which is currently booting from a SCSI disk,
>> but the drive is several years old, and I'm hearing worrysome
>> noises from it.  The price/GB of SCSI drives is obscene compared
>> to PATA/SATA.  Thanks to a SRM bug, the onboard PATA controller
>> only works in PIO mode, which is pathetic.  The box has a
>> SC-SATG11 card, but SRM will not boot from it.
>>
>> Is there a SATA controller that SRM will boot from?
>
> Get a IDE-CF adapter and boot from CF but have a kernel
> wired with root on the SATA drive.

My PC164SX doesn't like CF cards.
It seems the card must at the very least report a C/H/S geometry of
x/16/63 to be accepted by SRM. (Most bigger cards do this.)
The best success I've had is a kingston 1GB card, but it only
managed to boot one out of ten times. (the other nine it just froze up)

I boot from an old 4GB seagate ide drive and then put it to sleep with
atactl in /etc/rc.local.

Some SRM versions can boot from I2O-based (s?)ata raid adapters.
Adaptec ATA raid adapters appear as pza0 in SRM.