Subject: Re: Install Failed when writing disklabel to RAID 5 on Digital 5305
To: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/06/2006 15:41:17
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

>  I think I've found a Mylex controller I can put into an AS1000A I've
> been working on, so I can see if the 3.0.1 distribution works for me.

   The Mylex controller I found was from a DEC Intel system, and not
recognized by the alpha SRM.  However, the Raid Configuration Utility
was happy with it, and NetBSD was happy with it - it just means I
can't use it to boot from.  This isn't a problem, since I have an
installed system on the internal SCSI adapter on the AS1000A.

   I was able to do an install using 3.0.2 (3.0.1 has been superceeded
by 3.0.2) and had no trouble doing the install to ld0.

   Did your system hang trying to creat the filesystem, or did it error
out?

   Something you can try with your current install media is to either exit
out of the first sysinst menu, or select the utils menus and then the
shell menu.  Once you are at the shell prompt, try:

# newfs /dev/rld0a

   That should be doing the same thing sysinst was trying to do.

   If that hangs or aborts, try the following:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rld0a bs=64k count=100

   If it complains about a read-only filesystem, then do:

# disklabel -W ld0
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rld0a bs=64k count=100

   If that completes normally, you can try the dd command again with
a larger count value (or leave the count= completely off to zero the
entire partition).  Then try the newfs command again and see if it
completes normally.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant