Subject: Re: Install Failed when writing disklabel to RAID 5 on Digital 5305
To: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/05/2006 22:27:30
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, mowestusa wrote:

> 4. Then I get a screen that looks very familiar to
> Figure 3-18 in the NetBSD Install Guide under Chapter
> 3 "Example Installation"
>   In that figure I get the numbers starting on the
> bottom line, but it booms out at the 32, (It never
> gets to 84466). It never finishes creating the file
> system.
>
> I hope this explains clearly where I'm getting the
> problem.

   Yes, it does.  I was trying to tie the "32" to disklabel, which didn't
make any sense.  It does with the newfs though - it's the first cylinder
group on the filesystem.  It looks like it's hanging when trying to write
the first superblock to the disk.

> As far as booting, can't I simply put the 3rd Floppy
> disk into the drive and boot from that floppy to get
> to the / partion? I thought I read that some where.

   It will boot fine from the disk.  It's just that the kernel won't know
how to find the root filesystem to mount, and prompt for the root device.

   Something you might try would be to try one of the 'daily' builds,
either a -current build, or the netbsd-4 build.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant