Subject: Install Failed when writing disklabel to RAID 5 on Digital 5305
To: NetBSD Alpha Port <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/04/2006 20:22:18
I will admit that I have no experience with server
hardware, so this is probably part of the problem. I
booted from the 3 floopy set for 3.0.1 and started the
install.

I thought it was strange when it found only one hard
drive and called it ld0. The server has three 4.3 Gig
SCSI harddrives leaving 4 of the 7 bays empty. I
thought it would find all three drives, but it only
found one drive.

I went ahead with the partitioning. I examined the
partition table. It came back with a figure of about
8200 megabits which would lead me to think that it is
seeing two of the 4.3 drives as one drive.

When I confirmed that I wanted it to write the
disklabel it started but failed after "32".

I'm assuming that this has to do with the install
program not seeing the disks correctly. So my question
is, how to I install to the hard disk on a system like
this? I believe it is set up as a RAID 5 array from
the "show device" command in SRM. I really don't
understand what that means because I have never had or
used a RAID controler. Is there a way for it to see
all of the drive individually?

I have read the documentation for Netbsd and the
install notes for the Alpha but I did not find any
information on RAID systems or installing on such a
server hard drive configuration. If I missed it please
point it out to me.

Any direction that could be offered here is
appreciated. Thanks for your patience with a newbie
hoping to put an old Alpha back into service.

Steve
mowestusa@yahoo.com