Subject: Re: Free PWS 600au in Silicon Valley, USA
To: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/31/2006 11:42:44
On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:23:22AM +0200, Lars Nordlund wrote:
> It turned out that the cpu, together with the cpu cooler, had come
> loose and slid around inside the box..

Heh, I had the same thing happen to me, except with an SGI Indy that
someone gave me. He just tossed the machine in a box filled with plastic
peanuts and hoped for the best. The HD wasn't screwed in, so it bounced
around all the way from New York to Cape Town, Luckily nothing was broken,
although the CPU got knocked out of its socket and had a lot of bent pins. I
managed to straighten them (with a knife blade) and the machine has worked
flawlessly since (running NetBSD of course). Sadly the case was a little
worse for wear - the top is plastic, so a lot of bits got broken off.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj@turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/