Subject: Re: dd does not copy same number of blocks
To: Uwe Lienig <uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/29/2006 18:38:35
On Tue 29 Aug 2006 at 10:25:36 +0200, Uwe Lienig wrote:
> Where does this difference does come from? Has the source drive sd31 been
> copied correctly onto target drive sd33? sd31 does have only 35843670

Maybe the easiest way to check it is fsck with the -n option, so that it
doesn't write on the disk. If there are many more errors than you would
expect, the copy wasn't good.

> blocks, not 35843671 blocks. Is the extra block caused by reading after end
> of the physical drive?

Without looking into it further, that would be my guess too.

> Uwe Lienig
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.