Subject: DS20e scsi problems suddenly?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/10/2006 20:42:17
--------------enigC1A1EB17C9E07A8072874A29

So, this has been bugging me for about six weeks, but I've only had time
to do semi-exhaustive testing in the last few days.

_If_ I remember When It Started correctly, I hadn't done anything
special other than reboot.  But, as of late, I can't use SCSI disks.=20
I've tried different boards (I have three different 53c895 boards, plus
there's two ahc onboard), different disks, different cables, and an
external enclosure.   SRM sees the disks fine, and can load the kernel
still, but I get this when disks are probed:

scsibus4: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
probe(esiop2:0:0:0): request sense for a request sense ?
probe(esiop2:0:0:0): request sense failed with error 22
probe(esiop2:0:0:0): generic HBA error
probe(esiop2:0:1:0): request sense for a request sense ?
probe(esiop2:0:1:0): request sense failed with error 22
probe(esiop2:0:1:0): generic HBA error
probe(esiop2:0:2:0): request sense for a request sense ?
probe(esiop2:0:2:0): request sense failed with error 22
probe(esiop2:0:2:0): generic HBA error
probe(esiop2:0:3:0): request sense for a request sense ?
probe(esiop2:0:3:0): request sense failed with error 22
probe(esiop2:0:3:0): generic HBA error
WARNING: can't figure what device matches "SCSI 1 8 0 0 0 0 0"

=2E.. the same with a 2.1_STABLE or a very -current kernel (netbooted).

(When I attach the disks to the ahc, I don't get the same errors, but
the disks show up sans any info, and don't actually work)

I'm perfectly willing to believe this is hardware, but I don't
understand why it follows the different scsi parts the way it does.  Is
it possible I've done something goofy in SRM?  (I have a vague memory of
playing with settings in an attempt to get it to autoboot around the
time things stopped working, but I don't recall details)

Any suggestions?  It's a real shame not to be overheating my office with
such a nice machine...

+j